The work we do to support disadvantaged young people from across the UK would not be possible without the dedication of our fantastic volunteers.
We work with more than 2,500 volunteers from all over the UK, both onshore and at sea, throughout the year.
Our aim is to grow this incredible network to help with everything from fundraising and recruiting to sailing with and mentoring our young people.
There are a number of ways you can volunteer with us:
Supporting our open days
We’re busy planning our open days for 2024 and we’re looking for volunteers to help out at our events by assisting with boat tours and helping to promote our work to members of the public.
As it stands, we’re looking for volunteers to help us over the following dates:
- Saturday 24 February: Portsmouth – Gunwharf Quays Marina, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Saturday 27 April: Portsmouth – Gunwharf Quays Marina, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Friday 10 May: Plymouth – Mayflower Marina, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Thursday 16 May: Swansea – Location TBC, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Sunday 2 June: Belfast – Belfast Harbour Marina, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Friday 14 – Sunday 16 June: Cowes – Round the Island Race, times TBC
- Saturday 13 July: Portsmouth – Gunwharf Quays Marina, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Monday 15 July: Cowes – British Classic Week, times TBC
- Saturday 27 July – Friday 2 August: Cowes – Cowes Week (Trinity Landing), times TBC
- Saturday 27 July: Weymouth – Weymouth Harbour (Custom House Quay), 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Saturday 17 August: Newcastle – Royal Quays, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Saturday 17 August: Portsmouth – Gunwharf Quays Marina, 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Monday 30 September: Ipswich – Orwell Quay, 10:00am – 4:00pm
Helping with boat maintenance and refits
We are looking for volunteers to help with boat maintenance at Gunwharf Quays Marina, Portsmouth and Endeavour Quay, Gosport over the following periods:
Challenger 1 – Wednesday 1 November to Thursday 30 November 2023
Challenger 2 – Thursday 4 January to Wednesday 31 January 2024
Ketch – Monday 22 January to Friday 9 February 2024
Challenger 3 – Monday 19 February to Wednesday 13 March 2024
Challenger 4 – Monday 18 March to Friday 19 April 2024
Volunteering at sea
We’re always looking for individuals to support us offshore by joining our vessels as voyage crew and taking on a variety of roles, from Watch Leaders and Youth Mentors to Mates and Skippers.
Volunteering offshore with TSYT is a unique and rewarding way to build your sailing knowledge and experience, with opportunities to complete professional qualifications and progress up to Volunteer Mate, while supporting young people to change their lives at sea.
If you like the idea of volunteering with one of the UK’s largest youth development outdoor learning charities, please email email@example.com with your availability and the capacity in which you would like to help.