Can you help us upgrade our vessels? Donate to the Fleet Investment Fund

Challenger 2 – Petroc

By Kate Stewart - October 11th, 2022 | Posted in Voyager blogs No comments

Onboard Challengers 2 and 3 this week, we have two groups of young people from Petroc in Devon.

Read what those onboard Challenger 2 have been getting up to so far.

Day 1

Sunday 9

On our first day of sailing, we learnt how to remove and reattach the fenders using a clove hitch knot. This is interesting as the knot itself is really easy to make, but holds a decent amount of weight.

We also learnt some technical terms for areas of the boat such as the galley (kitchen) and the stern (back of the boat). We were taught how to prep the sails ready for use.

Dinner on the first night consisted of fajitas, which were prepped by half of the crew. We sailed from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight.

Day 2

Monday 10

On the second day we set sail from Cowes to Weymouth, which took us approximately eight hours, during that time we tacked around six times using the winches and the sheets (ropes). Some of the crew helmed (steered) the boat and got us to our final destination.

Dinner this evening was cooked by the second half of the crew, who made Green Thai Curry. Don’t ask how, but a debate over the pronunciation of the word hummus wiggled its way into our meal time discussion. So what do you think is it hummus or hommus?

Day 4

Wednesday 12

06:30 wake up, launch from Weymouth. We motored out during the sunrise, then hoisted the Mainsail, this is when Challenger 3 overtook us and proceeded to lead the whole journey.

For breakfast, Neil’s team prepared croissants and pain au chocolat, which was above average, probably a 6/10 but the sunrise made it a 8/10. If breakfast was a bacon and egg bap you’d be looking at a 10/10.

As the wind picked up, we hoisted the Yankee sail and we turned off the engine, we had to sail around a military shooting range which made the journey a little longer. Then as we approached midday, we had to perform a gybe which was good fun above deck.

However below deck, the crew were launched across their rooms and our lunch was launched into the air. Many gybes later we approached another military ship and this time they weren’t trying to shoot at us which was good.

As we approached the north of the island we had to go around the old water forts which is when I was helming the ship and fortunately I was able to avoid it. As the wind came towards the front of the boat, we had to perform multiple tacks which the crew didn’t enjoy as much as the gybes.

As we came towards the end of our voyage, we had to retract the sails and use our engine to moor the boat, as we moored, Sophie, the Mate was weirdly excited to see her ‘friend’ and made docking a little annoying. We moored in Cowes and we plan to set sail back to Portsmouth tomorrow.

By Harvey.

Join our mailing list

Get the latest updates and news, straight to your inbox.

Add your email and we'll do the rest!